The farmer Johann Caspar Straßburg from Taubach
ploughed a fallow land on the slope between Taubach and Oberweimar on the 02nd of December 1834. Later Mr Straßburg stated during his interrogation in the Justice Office of Weimar on 07th February 1835, that the field area had been called "die Weinberge" (the vineyards) and that the cultivated field was a fallow land, which might have been not farmed for a hundred years. He ploughed out two stoneware pots covered with stones, which broke. In this pots were old, very thin silver coins. Mr Straßburg said, that it all in all were about one metze (4.7 l) or 5½ ℔ (2,570 g; 1 ℔ = 467.2 g). The coins were sold by Mr Straßburg, in the lot to 18 g or piece by piece to 3 g.
The remains of the coins find endet up via the architect Mr Unger from Erfurt into the hands of Mr Carl Friedrich of Posern-Klett (1798-1849), a merchant and city council to Leipzig, which himself also concerned with the numismatics. Mr Posern-Klett cleaned and classified the coins and found, that there were still 270 to 280 different stamps and varieties. Most of the coins had been minted in Erfurt, but also coins minted in Fulda and Arnstadt were found in larger numbers. However the coins from former small Thuringian mints are very interesting, so minted coins from Greußen, Ilmenau, Königsee, Magdala (found for the first time ever), Remda, Salza (Bad Langensalza), Tannroda and Weißensee. There were also coins from Naumburg, Nordhausen, Stollberg (Harz mountains) and Würzburg as well as a Bavarian and two Brandenburgish Dickpfennigs in the find. Mr Posern-Klett sold coins from the Taubach find, an ad for this was printed in the Numismatischer Anzeiger of the Hannoversche Numismatische Zeitung.
The find place of the silver treasure is located east of today's street Auf dem Steinberge. This street was only built with the new residential area, the former field path had a different course and led westerly to the street Auf dem Steinberge. The field area between the village and the then field path changed its name to "In der Schatzgrube" (in the treasure pit), the field area to the west of this was called as far as the next field path (today's stairs in the new residential area) as "An der Schatzgrube" (at the treasure pit).