The Imperial-Goetzian Army
encamped on its march from Westphalia to Leipzig in 1637 in Mellingen and Taubach - it was the time of the Thirty Years' War. All what they could get, was taken away by the soldiers, they marauded, robbed, raped, and murdered. In addition they set houses, stables and barns alight, also the school of Taubach was burnt down. Even the church has been not spared and they stole the good chalice and the baptismal font, burned the pewage and pulled down the ceiling deal boards to burn them too. Some fires were even stoked in the church, so was a danger there, that the church might burn down. Fortunately, the church was spared by this fate.
However, it should not be the last time that soldiers took quarters in Taubach.
In 1639 the town clerk Mr Daniel Hennigke the and soaper Mr Hans Hüllegrund presented the Taubachian Church. Mr Hennigke donated a new tinny baptismal font and an altar cloth, Mr Hüllegrund a tinny dish jug and a tinny chalice. The baptismal font, the jug, and the chalice were stolen by tramped troops, perhaps by Swedish troops, who were in the area around Taubach in 1640 and completely withdrawn oneself from the Duchy of Saxe-Weimar only in the middle of 1650.
Duke William IV of Saxony-Weimar let conducted a country visitation in 1642; a country visitation is a inventory inspection of the land by provincial commissioners. This revealed all the consequences of the Thirty Years' War - about one-half of all the dwellings in Saxony-Weimar were destroyed, the livestock was almost completely killed off and only a third of the agricultural land was still used, two-thirds were fallow. In 1647 the Duke enticed with a decree in which he promised a two-year exemption from taxes for all those, who rebuilt and husbanded a farm devastated by the war, in order to promote the reconstruction of the country. Taubach still had 163 inhabitants.