After the 2nd World War,
the pupils from Mellingen went to school in Mellingen and the pupils fom Taubach in Taubach again. While the Taubach school opened on 01st October 1945, the school operations in Mellingen did not begin until March 1946. However, the school operations in both places were fraught with difficulties. More than one hundred pupils were to be tamed by a single teacher in Taubach. The lessons were probably in the shift system in the classroom of the New School initially, as the classroom, which was situated on the schoolyard side of the Old school was inhabited by refugees / bombed out people. There was only this one classroom in the Old School at that time, on the other side, in front to the main street, was the apartment of the teacher Mr Hagel. The attic of the old school was later completed. In 1946 Mr Hagel was disburdened by a new teacher, who taught the half of the pupils in the classroom of the Old School. The children had to bring along firewood in the winter months.
In 1955, the schools Mellingen and Taubach reunited, which led to a significant improvement in the school situation in both places. With the school year 1959/60, the school system of the GDR was reformed on 01st September 1959 and the polytechnical secondary school was introduced as a standardized ten-year community school. In 1964 the first 9th and the following year the first 10th grade was formed in the school association Mellingen-Taubach. Now one had again the problem of lack of space with the new formed classes and used rooms in the former inn "Alte Post", which was already closed in 1951 and then used as a day home for schoolchildren and dining room by the school (demolished in 2015, today a place for recreation at the foot of the Mellingen church hill on the Weimarer Straße) as well as in the former inn "Ritter" in the Lange Straße (today residential building).
The new Mellingen school opened in October 1968, the Taubach school became a primary school. From then on, only elementary school pupils from Taubach and Köttendorf and about half of the elementary school pupils from Mellingen attended the Taubach school. Four classrooms were available for the four classes, still with stove heating. In winter there were also one or the other extra round through the classroom until it had heated up. A classroom which was used as day home for schoolchildren and a small office were in the Old School too. The school garden was located between the cemetery and the dirt road coming from the mill. The physical education took place in the hall of the former inn "Zum Stern" until the closure of it about 1972, then in the classroom of the New School. In good weather, the sport was held in the school yard (which also had a pit for long jump behind the Haus der Freundschaft), on the Taubach sports field or directly on the then not yet developed road between church and school buildings. But there were also endurance runs around the Eisenberg garden triangle on the (then still existing) railroad crossing, with plenty of "Taubacher country air" from the nearby silo. In winter, the lessons were also relocated to the Hardtgasse: tobogganing until all had a healthy complexion.
For the physical well provided a school kitchen, in which the lunch was freshly prepared every day. A school meal cost 55 GDR pennies, which corresponds to about 14 euro euro cents. Today's Taubach pupils and their parents can only dream of such a value for money, not to mention the quality.
Another elementary school with 4 school classes was in Mechelroda / Kiliansroda in which the elementary school pupils of these two places as well as the elementary school pupils from Oettern, Buchfart and the rest of Mellingen elementary school pupils were taught.
Eight classrooms were in the new Mellingen school, one of this was specially equipped for the requirements of chemistry and one for physics lessons, a school kitchen, in which also a tasty lunch was freshly prepared daily, and a dining room. However, eight classrooms were not sufficient for 12 classes, so 2 classes were taught in the Mellingen Old School and another class in the Mellingen burgomaster office (two 5th and one 6th grade). So left only one class to be accommodated. This had either physical education, which still took place until about 1977 in the former inn "Zur Linde" at Mellingen Schenkborn and then in the great hall of the former restaurant "Burgkeller", or polytechnic lessons in the ZBO Weimar-Land (inter-company organization ==> construction firm, primarily for agricultural construction in the rural district Weimar-Land). At a pinch the leftover class had to make do with the dining room. In 1972 the school was given the name "Albert Kuntz Oberschule", although, so was said, the name "Valentina Tereschkowa Oberschule" to be provided, which is reflected in the cosmonaut mosaic on the outer wall of the school. Albert Kuntz was a resistance fighter against the Nazi regime and was murdered in 1945 in the Mittelbau-Dora concentration camp.
Mellingen got another school in 1984, the building of today's grammar school "Lyonel-Feininger-Gymnasium", which now had enough space for the 12 classes in grades 5 to 10 with its 14 classrooms. In addition, the school also got a sports hall, so it was possible to teach year-round sports education at the school site for the first time. The teachers had no longer to switch between the different parts of the school within Mellingen. The elementary school pupils from the school parts in Taubach, Mechelroda and Kiliansroda changed to the school built in 1968.
After the incorporation of Taubach into the city of Weimar, the Taubach pupils are now being taught in Weimar. Because of the plenthy of pupils there, however, some parents report their fosterlings at the elementary school or at the grammar school in Mellingen. Thus, a few children can still ingest a breath of school history, which their mothers and fathers co-writed and they can continue co-write it for following generations of pupils.