Thousands of horses
grashed on the meadows at the rivers Ilm and Madel after the arrival of the Red Army, which reached the area around Taubach after withdrawal of the US-American troops on 03th July 1945. In the war, these horses were above all used as draught horses for the one-horsepowered Panje carriages and guns. Of course, there was also a horse-hospital.
The living together of Soviet soldiers and Taubachien was sometimes not without problems. While a Soviet soldier knocked a Taubachian, that he lost an eye, another soldier, probably a German teacher from Leningrad (today Saint Petersburg), took, instead the fearful offered basket of picked apples, one picked apple with the words "Only one. For Miss …".
As one of the first political measures of the Soviet occupation power, it established a new Thuringian state administration on 16th July 1945, which remained in office until the first state election in 1946. On 17th August 1945 the Democratic Bloc of the parties and mass organizations was established in Thuringia, whose goal was an antifascist and democratic new beginning. In Taubach, this affected the Kommunistische Partei Deutschlands (KPD, Communist Party of Germany) under the leadership of Mr Franz Harz and the Sozialdemokratische Partei Deutschlands (SPD, Social Democratic Party of Germany) under the leadership of Mr Paul Weser. Mr Artur Bartholomes replaced the former burgomaster Mr Franz Ludwig.
Because Taubach had no estate and no great land owners, the soil reform carried out in the Soviet zone of occupation concerned Taubach only conditionally. The second track of the railway line Weimar-Gera in the north of Taubach, now part of the Central-Germany-Connection, let demounted by the occupying power for reparation purposes. The dues at grain, potatoes, sugar beet etc., which the Taubachien had to pay, were took away on the remaining track from the station Mellingen/Thuringia.
On 01st October 1945 the schools opened again. Not as you are accustomed nowadays, but with well over a hundred pupils and a teacher in two classrooms. Those was relieved by a new teacher in 1946.
The Taubach kindergarten was opened in a barrack on the grounds of the former cemetery in 1947 and was well used by the Taubachien.
The war prisoners returned from 1947. First from France and last from the Soviet Union, a process which was to be completed only in the following decade.